Brooklyn Covid Testing
Trusted NYC Covid testing centers in Brooklyn and Queens New York providing Covid-19 rapid tests and PCR antibody tests.
Important Covid Testing Announcement
Insurance no longer covers covid tests that are not medically necessary – travel, work, etc.
Tests are now only covered if you have symptoms.
Vaccines now available. Call 877.471.9091 or find your closest urgent care location for more information.
Covid-19 Testing in Brooklyn
What Types of Covid Tests are Available?
There are two broad categories of testing:
Antigen Test (Covid Rapid Test)
This test detects protein fragments specific to the Coronavirus. This test can be done at any AG Urgent Care Location. Turnaround time for results is usually very quick and in some cases, results can be reported within 15 minutes.
PCR testing is considered the “gold standard” in SARS-CoV-2 detection. This test actually detects RNA (or genetic material) that is specific to the virus and can detect the virus within days of infection, even those who have no symptoms. The test can be done in a clinic, hospital, or even in your car. Turnaround time is longer, generally in the 2-3 day range but results can be in as little as 24 hours. When demand is high, results can take a week or longer.
Who Should Get the Rapid Test?
Rapid tests are considered most accurate in a patient who is having symptoms of COVID-19. While the rapid test can get you results very quickly, the results may not always be accurate.
Testing False Negative and False Positive
In those who don’t have symptoms, the false negative rate — meaning my test is negative but I actually have the disease — can be as high as 50%. This can have tremendous consequences as we try to contain the spread of COVID-19.
The false positive rate — meaning I test positive but I do not really have the disease — is quite low. So, if you test positive from a rapid test it is more likely you do have the disease.
What If I Have Covid Symptoms and a Negative Rapid Test Result?
Current recommendation is to have a confirmation test performed (the PCR test) if you still have symptoms and have had a negative rapid test. This is especially true if you’ve had a high-risk exposure. A high risk exposure is considered more than 15 minutes of contact with a COVID-positive individual in a 24-hour period and you have been within 6 feet of this individual.
Covid testing is available at all five of our walk-in urgent care clinic locations in Brooklyn and Queens.
Covid-19 Rapid Test
- Rapid results within 10 minutes
- No lab equipment or additional instrument required
- Detects SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid protein antigen via a lateral flow assay
- Designated as a CLIA waived test
- Manufactured in the U.S. by a U.S. headquartered company
Covid Testing for Travel
If you plan to travel internationally, you will need:
- To get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States
- Show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight
- Or, be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
Types of Covid Tests for Travel
1. Rapid tests are acceptable
2. Home tests are acceptable if they meet the following:
- The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
- The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
- Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details. The passenger must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.
Covid-19 Test in Brooklyn
AG Urgent Care has Covid testing urgent care centers near your home in Brooklyn and Queens with rapid Covid tests and PCR antibody Covid tests available.